Developing a killer core can be challenging for even the most ardent fitness fanatics, and despite hours of crunches and specialized abs routines, a six-pack tummy can remain elusive.
Not seeing the results you want? Why not try incorporating these 4 best exercises for stronger abs into your workout routine? (And if you’re feeling extra motivated, check out our 30-day summer abs challenge!)
Keep in mind that while abs are sculpted during these workouts, they’re truly revealed in the kitchen. Ensure you’re eating a clean diet with minimal processed food filled with lean protein, healthy fats and vegetables so that you’re six-pack isn’t hidden under a layer of flab.
Stronger Abs Exercises
1. Bicycle Crunches Abs Workout
If there were any one abs exercise that’s perfectly designed to work your abdominal muscle groups, it would be the bicycle crunch. Alternate for three sets of one minute.
- Lie on your back flat with your shoulders against the ground and your feet flat on the ground with knees folded.
- Clasp both hands behind your head, both elbows pointing forward towards your feet, and raise your right elbow to touch your left knee, your right leg should be fully extended and above the ground.
- Repeat the same procedure on the alternate side to complete one rep of the exercise routine.
- To make this abs exercise effective, hold your pose for at least two seconds at the point where each elbow meets the alternate knee for a more intense abdominal burn.
2. Cross Crunch Abs Exercise
This is a must-do exercise for six-pack abs, targeting the abdominis rectus, obliques and entire lower abs area. Alternate and complete three sets of 10-12 repetitions.
- Lie spread out on your back with arms and legs spread angled in an x shape.
- To complete each rep, raise one arm and cross that arm towards the alternate foot with the aim of touching the toe.
- The movement is done while also raising your foot with both fingers and toe meeting in the middle of the swing.
- Repeat the movement on the alternate side to complete a repetition.
4. Spiderman Planks Abs Workout
Another workout that targets and benefits all the major abdominal muscle areas, this exercise starts in a traditional plank position, but kicks it up a notch. Alternate to complete three sets of one minute rounds.
- Slowly bring your left knee forward to touch your left elbow, drop it back to its starting position and repeat the same procedure for your right knee.
- Both series of action complete one rep.
5. Cable Rotation
This sharp, sports-specific movement is perfect for ripping up the oblique areas and improving rotational movements. (It’s also great for toning up those love handles). Complete three sets of 10-12 repetitions. To do this exercise:
- Stand with feet slightly apart, one in front of the other and a cable in both hands at shoulder height.
- The cable should be at right angles to the body from either the right or left side.
- Slowly rotate the body while dragging the cable away from its anchor to complete a rep.